On a hot, sticky Friday afternoon, the CEO of the organization I work in sent us all ice cream. For a few minutes, we all stopped work, chatted about the day, had a laugh then resumed work amongst the chaos.
It was a small gesture that had an immediate and lasting impact. Imagine, a CEO who actually cares about employees!
My previous experience of CEOs in the healthcare industry is that they make an annual appearance at a national conference sharing a vision that never materializes into anything or, even worse, show up for a staged “fireside chat” full of pomp and ego.
So what makes this CEO different from the others.
Here are my thoughts:
- She started as a health care worker so knows the pressures and sacrifices employees in the organization make every day.
- She practices the organizations values which leads to a compassionate, caring culture.
- She is visible in the organization showing up at orientations, team leader meetings and events.
- She openly shares her vision and how it will be achieved.
- She understands the meaning of work life balance in a predominately female work environment.
- She understands that a small thank you goes a long way in everyone’s books. Everyone loves ice cream.
So what has your CEO done for you lately?